The internship (also called traineeship, stage, tirocinio) is a form of short-term on-the-job training, in Italy or outside it, at any type of public or private body (companies, firms, institutions, universities, organizations, associations, research centres).
The internship of a graduate from degree course or from a Specializing Master/PhD not enrolled in another study course is called extracurricular.
You can take an extracurricular internship if:
- (only in Italy)You haven’t already passed the State Examination enabling to practise as an Architect/Engineer;
- Italian specific regional laws or hosting foreign Country laws allow post-graduation internships;
- You are holder of a valid stay permit to Italy, for study or job seeking purposes (at least you need to have a receipt of a renewal/change request done before the expiring date of the previous permit)
HOW TO ACTIVATE AN INTERNSHIP
- INTERNSHIP AGREEMENT / CONVENZIONE DI TIROCINIO
The Internship Agreement / Convenzione di tirocinio is the very first document required by law to activate an internship with a student or a graduate of Politecnico di Milano.
It is a contract between the Company/Host organization and the Universitywhich defines rights and duties for both parties. It might be tacitly renewed: in this case the Company/Host organization won’t have to sign a new one for every internship to be activated.
The Internship Agreement, once signed and sent, is activated in 5 days.
In order to request the Internship Agreement the Company/Host organization has to follow the instructions on the dedicated page: Italian Companies/Host organizations; Foreign Companies/Host organizations
|If the Company/Host organization has its main and/or local office in EMILIA-ROMAGNA, FRIULI-VENEZIA GIULIA, LAZIO, LIGURIA, PIEMONTE and VENETO different procedures are required; please ask the Company/Host organization to contact us at least 15 days before the internship starts|
- INTERNSHIP ACTIVATION REQUEST FOR A SPECIFIC CANDIDATE
When the Internship Agreement is active, the company is able to fill in the internship activation request at least 5 days before the internship starts follow the instructions on the dedicated page: Italian Companies/Host organizations; Foreign Companies/Host organizations
To insert the request they need your student ID number.
Once completed the request, you and the Company/Host organization will receive the PDF of the Internship Document ready to be printed, signed and delivered via email (scan copy).
HOW TO FIND AN INTERNSHIP
When checking online offers make sure you are applying to offers that are actually in line with your profile by using the appropriate filters:
- YOUR SUBJECT AREA
- POST-GRADUATION INTERNSHIP
- ITALY or ABROAD
Want help to be more successful and get more feedback? Follow our online course to pepare your personal CV, which you can upload on the website (your online profile). If you are an architect or a designer we remind you to add a short portfolio to your CV, uploading it as a single pdf on the website (max 5 MB). If you want a consultancy on how to write/review your CV visit our Assessment Center in Bovisa or Leonardo Campus.
Moreover, you can check the list of Employers on the website to discover which ones are already registered to our website, divided by business sector/subject area and send them unsolicited applications through the Company/Host organization websites.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND SERVICE POLICY
Main reference texts for internships in Italy:
- Interministerial decree n. 142/1998
- Law 92/2012 (“Fornero”) art.1 parr. 34-36
- National guidelines25/05/2017
- D.g.r. January, 17 2018 n.X/7763 “Newregional guidelines on internships”
- D.d.u.o. 6286 / May, 7 2018 “New regional guidelines on internships – Implementingprovisions”
- Main Italian Regions’ guidelines on extracurricular internships
Check the rules valid for your course of studies.